Steer is a bull

jeudi 22 mai 2014

I purchased 4 beltie steers last fall. Now that the weather has been getting nicer I have had more observation time with the herd. The nicest looking one (biggest belt and biggest guy) appears to be a bull.



I had been contemplating buying his daddy to breed my little Scottish highland herd. Now I am wondering g about keeping him as a bull? I am GUESSING he was supposed to be banded at some point.



My question is if this was the case and it did not take would there be any negative implications of using him as a bull because of this? I want my herd to be extremely self sufficient. The way I am looking at this is survival of the fittest. Changing this guys life plans from filling a freezer to servicing cows. On the negative side this guy has found weakness in my fencethe day he was delivered and last week. None others have taken advantage.



Thoughts?



IMG_20140510_134216409.jpg


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire