Knuckle case/Front axle oil change

vendredi 7 novembre 2014

Today the weather was cool and I had a little free time so decided to do the oil change in the front knuckle cases and front axle. I find the job a lot easier when the tires are off of the front ... It was time to swap sides so wear would be more even with the multidirectional tread of the Blackwater Evolutions so I quit procrastinating and went for it. I have put on average 600 hours a year on these tires, bought them almost 2 years ago so am guessing they have 1200 hrs on them... wow! really good wear for me.. Now I have those jobs done and will do the rear tire rotation maybe tomorrow depending on the farm goings on. Will also grease, wiggle and poke and probe everything back there.. I change the engine oil yesterday so after I buy a bit more of the sudt2 will chance the transmission and will be sitting good for several months.

Several things I thought about while I was doing the knuckle cases and front axle that I thought I would mention for newbies with the older machines like my 2011 RTV900 xtr. My 2005 900 was the same method....

I don't know a thing about the new models...

I keep a toothbrush in my tool box to clean the areas around all plugs before I remove them. It is amazing how hidden dirt likes to fall where it shouldn't and the toothbrush does a decent job of helping prevent that. I also use it to clean out the dust/grit in anything with threads.

On the front axle , It is harder to get to . I would suggest cleaning out the complete area around the drain hole or else when you put the plug back in, the dirt and dried mud will be there getting your plug all gritty. I put my plug back by feel because it is hard to see under there.( sorry about the picture of this area being at the wrong angle) Also should mention that the top fill plug has a grove on one side of the housing that will hold a lot of grass seed and dirt so in my opinion it's another job for the air gun and tooth brush before you remove the plug. ( You will be proud later you cleaned this area .) I have a small ,compact long necked funnel I keep just for this work. I keep a rag or bag over the funnel throat until I have positioned it in the area and am ready to pour the sudt in. Otherwise, right when I have it perfectly placed, a big clump of something will fall in it from above.. I have filled the front axle from the hood area (below the horn) , and from the winch mount area. To fill here, I premeasure the oil in a small container such as a small disposable water bottle and pour in the funnel slowly. I have included a picture of the drained sudt and the new sudt . It has about 400 hours on it and is still somewhat translucent if you hold it up but definitely was in order to be changed. A machine will last longer if regular maintaince is performed. Anyways had a pretty good day and relieved some 2 months of stress from the hectic farm this time of year:) I also had my number one ,loyal helper there on the RTV floorboard "helping " me and dozing in between. This is the way I do this and may not suit others. bordercollie




Attached Images





























File Type: jpg 1107141335a.jpg (67.0 KB)
File Type: jpg 1107141341.jpg (84.9 KB)
File Type: jpg 1107141342.jpg (59.7 KB)
File Type: jpg 1107141345.jpg (91.4 KB)
File Type: jpg 1107141348.jpg (75.7 KB)
File Type: jpg 1107141359a.jpg (90.2 KB)
File Type: jpg 1107141421.jpg (52.4 KB)







Knuckle case/Front axle oil change

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire