Alfalfa planting preparations

mardi 22 avril 2014

It looks like by the end of this week It will be dry enough for me to finally get my alfalfa planted. This is going to be my first time growing alfalfa. The ground was chisel plowed last fall and let lay over the winter, I sprayed paraquat 2 weeks ago to kill a few winter weeds that came up. I have found a 10 foot cultimulcher with the cultivator tines that I can rent. I'm thinking what I should do is run the finishing disc a few times and then run the cultimulcher to level and pack before planting. I'm going to be planting with a 5 foot brillion seeder. Are there any other steps I need to take to ensure I get a good stand?



Is it too late to even be thinking of planting alfalfa here? I was wanting to plant the very end of March or first of April but the weather didn't cooperate. I have decided I'm going to go ahead and plant anyway....just curious of what my chances of it doing well are.



Originally I was going to mix a bushel of oats in with the alfalfa but I'm thinking now as late as it is getting it may be best to leave the oats out as they may burn up in the heat this summer before they would amount to anything. Any thoughts?



Thanks, Hayden


0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire