Feeding Rich Alfalfa Hay to beef cattle

mercredi 9 décembre 2020

I have purchased some second cut alfalfa hay, it is dry hay in 4x5' round bales.  It was really dry here in Southern Ontario this past summer so there is very little grass that grew back for second cut so its almost pure alfalfa.  My question is it okay to feed this to beef cattle for the winter or is there a high chance of bloat with it.  

 

What would you say the best/safest way to feed:

 

1. Straight Alfalfa Bales

 

2. Feed one first cut (all grass) bale followed by one alfalfa bale and rotate back and forth.  (I feed one bale once every 3 days)

 

3. If there is not too much waste I can put a grass bale and alfalfa in at the same time when I feed.  (Add 2 bales once every 5-6 days but assume more waste)

 

I guess if there is a risk of feeding it straight, option 3 would be the best but I would rather just feed the alfalfa hay only and save my grass hay for the horses but would like to hear others opinion on the risks if any.

 

Thanks,
Dave



Feeding Rich Alfalfa Hay to beef cattle

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire