A Few Alfalfa Questions

dimanche 16 mai 2021

Thinking about rotating a few fields out of timothy (which is more of a timothy mix now) and into something else for a few years or maybe longer. Typically I plant teff, but it’s an annual and expensive. Further, IMHO it is not a well understood grass hay by my customers.

So I’m thinking about a legume. Not interested in clover as most horse customers seem programmed to reject hay with clover on it...

I’m thinking a better return might be square bales of alfalfa and maybe a few rounds too.

Round up ready alfalfa is also on my radar too. It would be nice to rotate in alfalfa and via competition and roundup, really clean up the field for whenever it goes back into grass.

Couple of questions...

1. What is the life expectancy of alfalfa in years before rotating out?

2. What is the number one headache when growing alfalfa, ie disease and/or insect damage?

3. Those of you using an impeller conditioner, what are your alfalfa settings?

4. I’m to understand alfalfa has a very deep tap root. How does it stand up to sandy, lomay, well drained ground and dry weather?

5. How close do you cut - what’s your typical stubble height.

Setting in the car looking over my fields while it’s raining here...

Any sage alfalfa advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Bill

A Few Alfalfa Questions

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire