Baling maize leftovers

samedi 25 avril 2015

I make small hay bales during summer while our neighbours grow maize.

Summer is well gone now and we're heading into autumn.

The maize was harvested today. Sometimes it's cut while green for silage, but by this time of the year it's harvested just for the maize kernels with the stalk and leaves thrown out the back of the combine harvester.

 

My question is, can I bale up the maize stalks and leaves ?

 

The material is well dried and if I time it right, the weather is still warmish, no rain.

 

I'm guessing I could just rake the material, then bale it immediately.

I have a Kuhn rotary rake, so it should rake it ok and not get caught up in the uncut stalks.

The baler pickup might not like the uncut stalks (I use a Welger AP71).

 

The bales would need to be picked up immediately as the ground is damp.

 

Has anyone tried this ?

What equipment ?

 

What is the baled material useful for ?

I imagine it's nutritional value is fairly low.

Great for animal bedding perhaps.

 

thanks, Shane



Baling maize leftovers

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire