No-till seeding of millet

mardi 19 mai 2020

I have a Lilliston Bush Hog 9670 no-till small grain seeder available to use. Last autumn my friend and I calibrated it to drop 105# of a triticale/annual ryegrass mix. On review of bags used and the 100 acres covered, we were within 5% of calibration. (suggested rate by seed company of 100#/ac, so we did well).

 

So, it's time for warm season annuals to be planted and we are planting BMR pearl millet (King Fisher Prime 360) to make for baelage. The seeder has a chart on the inside of the hopper box lid for settings for commonly used crop seeds i.e. beans, wheat, rye, barley, millet, sorghum, etc. Yesterday I was about to calibrate it (but rain was threatening), so I asked my friend who was with me (and owns the seeder) "why can't we just go off the chart that is printed since its a single grain?" (not a mix like last autumn). He said he would go off the chart if he were planting the millet. So we put it at setting B1 as shown on the grid chart (with a 30-30 wheel drive) to yield 28#/ac for millet under the "fine" type seed listings. Millet was also listed under the grid for intermediate, but this seed looked "fine". So for 15 acres at 30#/ac (450# total needed) I put in 9 x 50 # bags (450#), plus 1 bag extra for good measure. I went out and got 5 acres finished until it was too dark for me to see with the tractor headlights (a small older New Holland tractor).  I brought the tractor back into the barn before a few days of forecasted rain. I looked in the hopper and it empty - completely empty!! It should have had 10 acres worth of seed still in it (300#).

 

Any ideas what I did wrong (besides not manually calibrate it)? I went straight off the chart, had my friend whose seeder it is and grew up on a farm thinking all systems were go, filled it with 500# millet seed and started. Now I have to figure out where the seed ran out and also probably see a jungle of millet where it was planted at 100#/acre!

 

I'm kind of new still to doing planting so I could have missed something obvious.

 

Thanks ahead...



No-till seeding of millet

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire