Storing plastic wrapped bales in pasture with cattle?

lundi 18 janvier 2021

Hello All,

My wife and I just bought a farm in Upstate New York that included 20 mini Herefords in the sale. We’re learning on the fly!

Currently we have dry and balage round bales, both wrapped in plastic (solid white plastic, not netting), stored outside but not in with the cows. I feed them every day.

I am looking at the upcoming months of mud and not wanting to create progressively worse ruts in the mud with the tractor. There is a stream with muddy banks in any direction to get to any of the pastures.

I am thinking of taking advantage of the frozen ground and moving all the stored bales in with the cows now, and just moving the feeder ring and opening the bales daily. Of course this would mean following up to pick up the bottom of plastic that would remain when I cut the rest off.

My questions:
Will the cows try to get into the wrapped bales? Once they’re opened, is the remaining plastic at the bottom of the bale any concern? Are there any other concerns I should consider that I’m not seeing?

I searched the internet and the forums and do see this anywhere. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Storing plastic wrapped bales in pasture with cattle?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire