New farmer

mardi 23 mars 2021

I'm brand new to hay farming and want to grow hay on a 6 acre field.  I'm trying to get alittle independance from buying.  I started with a field that was comletely lost to a very thick infiltration of weed.  Field was 5 feet high.  I mowed it and waited until it started to grow back and then burnt it with roundup.  There was some straglers that I uses 2-4D on.  I then ripped the field since it was clay soil followed by a deep tilling.  Got my soil samples back and the numbers are good enough for now.  I planted 50 % orchard 30% timothy rye and Kentucky blue The snow has just left us and the field since we are in upstate NY. The field currently looks like a lawn.  My question is:  when should I do the first mowing ?  Is there any rule regarding mowing hay after the first planting?  I don't need the hay at this time.  Should I let go longer than baling height be let it thicken up?  Any and allsuggestions will be appreciated. ...rookie here.



New farmer

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire