Tractor and Equipment Sizing Dilemma

dimanche 18 avril 2021

Hi All,

 

I've been reading here all winter and am finally ready to get some equipment. I have just moved to a new farm and will be working 70 acres of hay. Will be making dry round bales and possibly balage in the years to come. Flat and open with large fields. No rocks. Central NY. The forage is 1/4 predominantly alfalfa, and the other 3/4s are a brome mix. The alfalfa stand is pretty recent seeding, but I don't think I'll continue it once the grasses take over.

 

There is some equipment here that the owner is selling, but I'm thinking it might be a bit much and/or not fit my overall needs for the cost.

 

My questions lies in how much do I need, as well as can afford, and be able to work comfortably. Speed is good, but I'm not a go fast type, would rather be a little slower on the tractor honestly.

 

I have another full time job, and the cow herd and making hay are 'on the side'.

 

What the owner has now:

JD 936 MoCo with impellers

Vermeer 504i Silage Special

Kuhn GA 4100 Single Rotor rake

Kuhn GT-500 Tedder

 

Tractors:

JD 4440 (144 HP ~130 PTO HP)

JD 2940 (82 PTO HP)

Another larger JD of the same era that's 150-160 HP

 

I was leaning towards none of the tractors, but instead a '04 JD 5420 Cab with loader (81 HP 67 PTO HP) for versatility to move bales, scrape the winter paddock, move compost, feed bales, etc. It think it should pull the rake, tedder, and baler without trouble, but I think the MoCo would be a bit much? Any thoughts?

 

If it is too much, I was wondering about going with a disc or drum mower without conditioner, since I'll be tedding no matter what and will be phasing out the alfalfa soon. Some friends around here do so and cut 400 acres yearly. How large of a drum or disc mower could I run with the JD 5420? Or would you rather suggest a discbine that is not as wide? I'd be happy to have the drum or disc mower for clipping pastures and field edges too which is an incentive.

 

Also thinking that the 936 MoCo would be more costly than just a disc or drum mower and not be worth it for what I'm going for.

 

How do these various pieces fit together regarding widths? I'd like the for example the rake and tedder to evenly cover one or 2 mowed windrows.

 

OR would you suggest sticking with the 936 MoCo and jumping up to a larger tractor? Seems like quite a jump to go to a say 130 hp tractor from an 80, not sure it will pencil out. Seems like the larger tractor would be at least twice the cost ($30k more) and the MoCo would be $3k - $6k more than a disc or drum mower. Maybe that's better invested in larger and better rake and tedder? I'd be open to other tractor models too, not just what is here for sale.

 

All the equipment is in good condition, but the tractors have a lot of hours on them. I am not mechanically inclined but make do.

 

I hope that makes sense. Thanks for any feedback!

 



Tractor and Equipment Sizing Dilemma

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire