Dry Down Question

mercredi 25 novembre 2015

You've upgraded from the old sickle mower or sickle haybine to a fancy discbine. Now you can cut in the rain, after a rain or early, late or at 3am with the heaviest of dews.

I'm thinking the goal of conditioning the hay is to save a day, get the horse hay dry and ready to bale before the color washes out and the price appearance with it and ahead of the next rain storm.

It is Monday afternoon. I'm off work early to cut my grass hay or alfalfa with the discbine. Halfway to the fields, sky opens up rain comes down in sheets. Hay is ready, any more waiting and I've got over ripe hay. Next two days are supposed to be sunny and clear. Gotta cut and everything I read says a discbine will cut damp/wet hay - no problem. So I go ahead a cut throughout the evening - even as the rain tapers off and into the night as the dew comes down hard. Got my hay cut and conditioned but.....

Have I really saved a day of dry down? Am I going to end up with quality hay?

When you condition rained-on or heavy dew soaked hay - just because you can cut it with a discbine vs a sickle haybine, are you really saving any time? Will the hay be OK and dry out - no problem? Are you effectively conditioning the hay (either rollers or impellers) ?

I can understand and and appreciate the more harsh environments that would otherwise clog a haybine - and being better able to cut around one's day job work schedule is a definite advantage, but are you gaining any time by doing it.

So I cut and conditioned on Monday with the rain and heavy dew. Tuesday and Wednesday forecast is sunny and clear. Thursday is more rain. Can I cut wet in Monday, ted on Tuesday and bale on Wednesday and have dry/quality hay in the barn before another rain comes on Thursday?

What is your experience?

Just curious.

Thanks!
Bill

Dry Down Question

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire