Thinning alfalfa and winterkill...

mercredi 26 avril 2017

I have an issue I need some advice on, I have 40 acres of straight alfalfa this is the 4rth growing season. One 30 acre field and 3 patches to make the other 10 acres.

The big field may have 10-15 percent winterkilled. my plan is to seed 10 pounds of anual rye in the dead/thin spots to keep weeds down and get something off it then go back to row crops for awhile in 2018.

The small patches I plan to keep as forever hay fields, as our row crop equipment is really to big for them. I want to seed them with some sort of grass possibly orchard or timothy. Just wondering for a long term at and what would be best.... I have also Been told to mix a few pounds of brome seed it as it spreads and fills in as the alfalfa and other grass thins. Thought?

My plan was to use out old press drill to "no till" it in as soon as it dries up. I have had success no tilling alfalfa should work for grass? It seems the old wore out disks and Springs just scratch the hard surface enough but don't get it to deep like if it was all worked up...

So thought of the best grass mix? Also if anyone else has done similar to an old alfalfa stand?

Thinning alfalfa and winterkill...

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire