Hay test results

jeudi 18 avril 2019

Help me figure this one out. I know that this bale of hay that I took the sample from (I know I should have taken samples from more than one bale), is what I would call loose. When I say loose I mean you would feel like you were walking on marshmallows in the hay mow. Which I hated as a kid to walk on hay put up in loose bales, hence I try to make tight bales (more like close to banjo strings tight). Tight bales are not so good of an idea when selling by the bale, but old dogs don’t always like to learn new tricks. ;)

 

Back to the sampling of this hay, the hay kept winding up around the test probe as I drilled into it. Like it was what I would call tough hay (too damp to bale) and the hay was what I would call soft hay (for alfalfa). Perhaps it was conditioned with a macerator type conditioner. As I pushed the test probe into the bale I had to keep reversing the drill, to prevent wrapping around the outside of the probe. :(

 

Anyway, take a look at the results. I guessed at the protein content at being over 18-19% (came in at 20.35%). The thing that stands out to me is the moisture level at 23.78% (along with the RFV of 162 & RFQ at 183.2!!! :o).

 

This sample was just taken on 4-6-2019, the hay has been stored inside stacked at least 6 high, no extra space between bales, for more than 6 months.  Here in Michigan, it's hard to put up hay after the middle of Sept, but I even go with the first of November, storage is at least 6 months.  I’m going to try to find out what preservative was used (and anything else, trick wise to make this hay).

 

As an FYI, I use Crop-Saver (buffered propanoic and citrus acid) but have never seen hay hold this much moisture for over 6 months, let alone not spoil.

 

  • Does hay hold this much moisture in your area, after 6-7 months in storage?
  • What type of preservative (and quantity) are you applying?
  • What moisture content would you be baling at to still have almost 24% moisture, after 6 months of storage?
  • Do you have insurance on your hay storage facility? -_-

 

I'm still trying to learn the more of the finer points of making quality hay.

 

Any thoughts, ideas or questions I should ask are welcome.

 

Larry

Attached Files



Hay test results

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire