alternative to hot branding?

lundi 10 avril 2017

Saturday all the guys and a bunch of neighbors combined to brand, vaccinate and castrate calves. My question is what are alternatives to hot branding? Our farm is located in New Mexico and I don't know if there are legal issues regarding what is an acceptable form of identification. We are wondering about using the cold brand method and about the bolus RFID or ear tags. In particular, what is the cost of the RFID that the cow swallows? I can find plenty of sales information on the bolus RFID, but here is never a price given. I would rather have someone tell me the pros and cons of identifying our cattle by different means and the cost. Hot branding doesn't cost much except for the man hours, but I am wondering about a method that is less work for guys and something that is still effective. I wonder about permanence as well. For instance, if someone were to steal one of our calves that was identified by an ear tag, that seems to me the tag could be removed and no way to recover that calf. Any advise is greatly appreciated.



alternative to hot branding?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire