Spreader comparison

jeudi 28 décembre 2017

I sold my Meyer V MAXX 3954 mushroom soil spreader with the desire to get into a bigger spreader hopper that will need less refilling stops and be more reliable. The 3954 was a good spreader and at $6,000 although it needed a few minor fixes, overall served me well for the investment.
Now I'm onto bigger and better (and far more expensive) At first, I wanted a Meyer 8865. There's a lot of decent used ones out there in my price range, some equipped with brakes. However, the flotation tires are set so wide at 140", I can't get across a bridge into one of my primary fields, and honestly, the roads I travel looked to be challenging at that width, too. However, I need flotation tires big time. Regular truck tires are not suitable. Also, I am getting increased interest in spreading for a few other small/medium time operators (SMTO's? LOL), so it could be a source of some extra income along with my needs.
There are a few local choices, but after looking for 2 months, there's not very much local inventory and "spreading season" (JAN/FEB) is fast approaching.
Then I started looking at Meyer Industrial 8720's. Smaller than the 8865, but still bigger than my 9524. Max width is 118" which BARELY gets me across the bridges and seems a bit more manageable on back roads. It's a V hopper design with 3 augers unloading to 2 vertical beaters in the back. It's just a bigger version of what I had. I know what I'm getting for a spread pattern, which is not exactly the best. It'll spread maybe 18-20' wide and leave some clumps.
I found this one at Swiderski in WI. I feel like it's priced fairly and in good-very good condition. Trucking to me is salty. I'm probably looking at $3,000-$3,500. http://ift.tt/2pKB9WY

Another one I found is a Kuhn Knight PSC161 at a dealer much closer to me, but not local. Dealer initially offering to deliver for free (bout 150 miles). It is a stronger, bigger spreader, but works on a different principal. It has a flat bottom box. The hopper is shaped like a 20 yard dumpster with a flat bottom. On the bottom, it has a chain/sprocket driven live floor unloading into rotary hammers and rear discharging via 2 large flat spinners. Kuhn claims a wider, thinner but more even spread pattern. It has a 108" max overall width so it's a bit narrower. The floor is hydraulically driven. My tractor has variable adjustable outlets to control the speed/output of the live floor. The spinners are PTO driven. Requires 180/160HP and I have 230/190, so I'm OK there. Does NOT have brakes, but my tractor has 4 wheels air brakes. Here is a link to the Kuhn Knight I'm considering. http://ift.tt/2E6UzIY

Videos/evidence seem to indicate a more "particulated" spread (less crop smothering clumps) from the Kuhn Knight. I could live with the Meyer spread pattern, although I did feel like a chain drag is kind of needed once the field was done sometimes, but I don't want to go over the field again. It's also worth noting I had trouble with the vertical curved guides being close enough to the vertical spinners on the old Meyer spreader I had, and this can create spread pattern and clump issues. So it's likely I will see an improvement on the 8720. I was told the Meyer working optimally will spread 30'.

The Meyer will probably be $28K delivered. The Kuhn will probably be 32K delivered. The Meyer is 44K new. The Kuhn is probably 65K new, but that's a somewhat edumacated guess. The Meyer is a 2015. The Kuhn is probably a bit older, maybe 5 years old. Still gathering info as I go.

Questions
1. Which will have better spread pattern? My guess the Kuhn.
2. Which will last longer given equal levels of care?
3. Is one with a chain/slat floor delivery system likely to last longer than a 3 auger delivery system? Is it likely to require less replacement of bearings, chains, etc?
4. $5K difference between the 2 leaves a lot of money in my pocket, but the Kuhn is a "bigger/badder" spreader and is 20K more new. It might be a bit too much spreader, but my business model seems to be gaining more acres and going bigger to a manageable point.

Sorry for the long winded description, was trying to be thorough. Leaning to the Meyer, but the Kuhn name/reputation is very good. I think the Kuhn may get a better paint job. The Meyer paint jobs are pretty bad. Equipment image is important to me since each of my farms is a "customer".

What are your thoughts?

Spreader comparison

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire