Clover vs Alfalfa Leaf Shatter and Dry Down

mercredi 12 décembre 2018

I’ve got a couple fields that are not ready for prome time haying - yet. I’m going to frost seed some red clover on them to fix some nitrogen over the course of 2019 while I continue to bring these fields back.

In our cattle days, we use to have red clover everywhere. It seemed hardy and required near zero maintenance - as I recall. When I started making squares for horses, we got some dusty hay I believe due to the clover. This was pre-mower conditioner and buffered propionic acid days. We do not have any clover in our main hay fields anymore - straight Timothy.

If I find that this clover (and Timothy) make and give some opportunity to make a little hay and revenue, I’m inclined to bale it.

Question - what is red clover leaf shatter like vs alfalfa? For some reason I’m thinking red clover is pretty tough as compared? How is dry down compared to Alfalfa?

Would be using an impeller mower conditioner. Not really interested in raising Alfalfa and the headaches that come with it - yet.

Thanks!
Bill

Clover vs Alfalfa Leaf Shatter and Dry Down

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire