Growing hay in MT

dimanche 7 décembre 2014

Hey ya'll I have a farm in Richlands NC and just purchased a farm in Butte MT. Our primary resident will be in MT and we have 40 acres there. We are a horse farm and I'm not looking at hay as my primary job, but I'm able to do it any day and any time of the day and any day of the week. So with that said we want to grow alfalfa and have enough to support our farm, and my cousins two horses. I was looking at just planting 5-10 acres this spring and starting off small. So that would be plenty for us as I only need hay in the winter as they will be grazing the other 25 acres (factor in 5 acres for my crap).



From what I have read you can get 3 tons per acre which I'm not sure til I start talking to the locals, irrigation set up and such. I have no idea how many cuttings I can get but my guess would be 2 and 3 if your lucky. If I get 3 tons an acre that would be plenty of hay for me. Right now I go through 18 tons a year of just grass hay in NC and that is feeding everyday almost year round.



I'm 26 years old and I want to have the right equipment and I know that I'm going to do this the rest of my life since my wife will always have a ton of horses. The one thing I want to buy new is a tractor as it will be my life and used all the time and I feel it is better to buy new then dump thousands in a used and end up buying new in 10 years after already dumping the amount for a new in a used one during those 10 years. Been there done that and not doing it again.



Here in NC we do mostly a coastal grass hay that weighs around 700lbs and get four cuts on a well / irrigated pasture with hog shit from the pond. My friend has a new holland tractor and I can't remember the model but I know it isn't more than 30-40 hp. Anyways we have no issues with that tractor down here and will do anything we can throw at it down here.



So up in Montana I'm hearing the bales of alfalfa weigh about 1500lbs and I know that tractor couldn't lift it five feet in the air without tipping forward on two wheels. What is a good horsepower for a tractor? What is ya'lls favorite tractor brand and why? I'll start with this and we'll go from there and move forward a little at a time so it doesn't get crazy complicated. Thanks



Growing hay in MT

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire