Questions about my hay

lundi 25 mai 2015

I'm on yr 3. I still don't know how my hay rates compared to others, because I'm kind of on my own I have no basis of comparison.
However, today I got ahold of some hay from the BTO in my area. He had just dropped off a load of T/O mix at a horse operation where I cut hay (but they don't buy round bales). So I grabbed a couple 8-10" thick layers from a few small bales and put them in my truck. I took them over to my barn and laid them out on a sheet of plywood. I grabbed a couple random samples of hay from my round bales about the same size and compared them.
I thought my hay looked greener and was softer. I thought my hay smelled better. His hay did have Timothy seed heads in it, but his hay looked browner, harder and containes as many stems as mine.
I guess My question is, is naturally occurring hay made up of field grasses and a fair-good amount of orchard grass, too, properly baled "worth" just as much per bale as pure Timothy/orchard grass mix?
If mine is softer and better looking/smelling hay, am I justified in asking for the same or even more?
Or is it worth less because it has less nutritional value because it is made up of a mixture of grasses?

I'm kind of frustrated cause I don't know how to market the hay and what price to ask. Real good 4x5 bales are getting $75-$80.
Also, what do I call the grass? field grass/orchard grass mix?

Questions about my hay

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire