No-tilling small seeded hay crops into heavy residue

samedi 11 novembre 2017

I get excellent stands of alfalfa, Timothy, and other very small seeds with my JD 1590 drill when no-tilling into minimal and low residue conditions. However I struggle to get a stand of these small seeded crops when planting into heavier residue situations. I have no problems getting good stands of small grains and soybeans in heavier residue conditions so I know the drill is capable of cutting through the residue. I think the issue is since the small seeds need to be planted so shallow (1/4") that it is difficult to get through all residue when planting that shallow......or the small seedlings just can't make it up through all the trash if they do get in the ground.

I had this issue again this fall when planting Timothy into oat straw that was not baled. In the pictures you can see that there is a great stand where the straw is thin but in the areas of heavier straw almost nothing came up. Is there anything I can do different to be able to get good stands in these conditions?
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Hayden

No-tilling small seeded hay crops into heavy residue

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire