Spring pasture management

dimanche 2 février 2020

What do you guys do to get ready for the summer?

 

I have finally got my have my process down.

I spend a few weeks doing mower maintenance, belts, oils, sharpening a few sets of blades, greasing, plugs etc. Then I mow. Short as possible, manure and all. It can be rough around feed and trough areas. And in the low spots that arent frozen. I try to mow before the first shoots of spring.

I found a fella that had a couple sections of an old rotary hoe rigged up to tow that I bought. I can add weight to the top with cinder blocks. Then I added a section of cyclone fencing about 12' long behind that.

 

After mowing I rotary hoe/drag the hell out of the pasture. That sure cleans, levels, and drags everything smooth.

 

I didnt have any cattle last spring and it seemed I was just filling in the ruts from previous yrs cattle. I threw out some seed in those areas around the hay feeders and by July it seemed to green up better. Aside from broom grass I am fairly weed free. I try not to use chemicals since I am basically eating what they eat. I dig thistle up by hand. The spiny amaranth is getting rough around my barn though.

 

I dont have much equipment for tillers, mulchers and plows, but was wondering what you guys do on a yearly basis for your grass pastures.



Spring pasture management

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire