Hay ground lease/share crop options

dimanche 4 janvier 2015

I would like to hear about different lease or share crop rental arrangements for mixed grass hay ground. Would also appreciate any comments or in sight into my situation. Thanks.



Here is my current situation.

I am putting up approximately 75 acres of mixed grass hay (mostly tall fescue) on a resort that is right across the road/fence from my place. Ground has some steep hillsides, some small odd shaped patches, some real rough spots, and big gently rolling open fields. I get 2/3 of the hay and am allowed to use the facilities on the resort (swimming pool, tennis, paddle boats, gym, etc.). The resort does not get a lot of traffic and is very open (probably another 75 acres that is mowed with lawn mowers). When it does get busy it is never very crowded because of the open nature.



Right now the owner (or upper management) does not and is not interested in spending any money on inputs (fertilizer, seed, weed control). The owners 1/3 share of the hay is usually trucked (by owner) 2 to 3 hours away to feed to feed to his herd of buffalo or cows, or something. Some years the hay has been sold locally and one year I purchased his share.



The resort manager would like me to make multiple cuttings of the hay just so the whole place looks better. I will only take one cutting per year because the lack of fertilizer and quality of forage make a second cutting not worth it. One year we had a great summer, had good regrowth and I did take a good second cutting, but the first cutting the following year was very poor so I have told the resort manager I will only do one cutting. He understands completely.



I would like to come up with an arrangement that would allow me to fertilize, overseed, or possibly reseed if needed and take multiple cuttings off the ground. Maybe make some small square bales on later cuttings (everything is round baled now). Something in general that would allow me to take better care of the ground, get some more productivity out of it, and provide the owner with some return.



Any comments or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.



Hay ground lease/share crop options

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire