Baling Cornstalks 101

mardi 15 décembre 2015

Moderators please move this thread if its in wrong subforum.
Thanks for taking a minute to look at this thread. Pre-apologize if it offends anyone in any way.
I got a call from a friend who is planting 50 acres of corn next season. he wanted to know if I'd be interested in baling the cornstalks. I have "101" level questions, so here goes:

Cutting:
Aren't cornstalks cut with a typical batwing rotary mower?
If yes, I've noticed "cornstalk kits" for them. Are these kits a necessity? Is it an extra blade or shield? If my CX-15 doesn't have a cornstalk kit, can I still cut them?

Raking:
Are the cornstalks then raked into windrows (roughly like hay would be raked)? Is my rotary hay rake suited for the task? Or are they not raked?

Baling:
Is my NH BR760 sileage special baler the right baler for cornstalks?
Will it need any modifications to bale cornstalks into marketable round bales? Do I need to wrap the cornstalks more times to keep them in a tight bale?

Marketing:
I'm pretty sure some of my mushroom growers buy them, but unknown. I dont know what theyre worth and that is my biggest concern (are they worth baling)? If mushroom company wont buy, then who else buys them? I assume COW. Who else buys them and what is the general price range for a 4x5 bale.

Sorry for the incredibly elementary questions. I have no mentor to show me here in person, so I rely on reading to learn and a dose of common sense.

Equipment damage:

Does cornstalk baling wear out the equipment faster or is it too rough on the equipment to be worth doing?

Baling Cornstalks 101

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire