Great start to weaning calves

dimanche 10 janvier 2016

So the first night of weaning calves was an almost epic fail. Pulled up and saw a mixed herd in a pasture nobody was suppose to be in. Realized 2 cows went over the top of 5 strand barb wire. A mix of 8 calves, steers and heifers, broke their fence down. So I ran 2 really hot wires across the 5 barb strands from the gate to the boundary. Left all the calves in the pasture they broke into since it would just be easier. Since I 'finished' that extra work, I went elsewhere to do what I intended to do 2 1/2 hours before. Called the wife and asked her to check and make sure everything was fine as I didn't hear any vocalizing mad cows. She found 2 cows trying to figure out how to push the gate down. So I hurried up and grabbed the hot wire bucket and proceed to install an electric gate in front of a gate. Doesn't make sense right? Well I'm not taking the chance. I left the charger on because I was fearful somebody would push the envelope and I'd have another mess. Also the charger is over 200 yards away. The psychological effect is very critical at this point. The ground being really wet and I had on my muck boots on, needless to say I got zapped hard a few times. As always the first couple of zaps smart and the following 5 or 6 didn't feel much better. Finally fashioned the gate using 2 gate hangers outfitted with a loop. Everybody is in their proper spot, there better not be a repeat in the morning.

As for the fence jumpers, owned these cows coming on 3 and 4 years, never a problem. Perfect Model Cows. Lock in the head gate by themselves, go where I want them to, beautiful calves, no prior trouble at all. Got them sorted in open field leading them, yes leading, and put back where I wanted them. I will forgive them this time.

Dad in typical fashion,"Next time you wean your calves, put the cows north of the house. The cows mooed all night." To give you a picture, the cows were mostly congregated at the corner closest to his bedroom not even 30 yards. I normally would do it different but the weather being what it has, I had to make some modifications.

Great start to weaning calves

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire