New field, new year, same old weeds... is there a best time to spray?

mardi 6 mars 2018

OK, well we made it through the deluge... I mean winter, OK. I planted some winter wheat along some wash places, and it seemed to do a relatively decent job in holding most of the soil in place. I put in 3 different plantings. 20ac of Alfalfa/orchard, 10ac of Timothy, and 40ac of KBG/Orchard. The fields were previous corn/soybean rotation with a single year of Annual rye last summer. 

 

In KY, we have had a ton of moisture all winter. And now, that it is beginning to warm up in the days, my fields are greening up rather nicely. HOWEVER, a lot/most of what I am seeing is Dead Nettle, henbit, and whatnot sprouting. I see some KBG and Orchard grass in the 'latest planted' pasture, and I see that at least some/most of my alfalfa/orchard and Timothy made it through, although I don't know how the stand is really going to look.

 

My question is... the weeds. 

 

Should I spray these weeds? Is there a 'time' when it would be best? These pastures and hay fields were only planted last fall, but I'd like to keep them as clean as possible. I'm not trying to jump the gun, but neither do I want to ignore something better dealt with now rather than later. I suspect I need to just relax and let things grow and see what actually comes up. I put about $5K worth of seed down last year... I want to do what I can to make it work well.

 

If I 'should' spray... what would you recommend using on the fields?

Alfalfa/Orchard mix

Timothy straight

Bluegrass/Orchard



New field, new year, same old weeds... is there a best time to spray?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire