Drilling orchard grass into 1yo alfalfa

dimanche 23 septembre 2018

I put in 20ac of alfalfa/Orchard mix last fall. Neither did well this year, and everyone thinks it was because of such a wet fall/winter/spring here. Nothing did well according to those around the area.

I have some weak areas that I’d like to fill in, with about 50% of the alfalfa I’d expect to be there. Since I can’t put in more alfalfa into the stand, I thought I’d add more Orchard grass to fill in as much as possible.

The guy who has been doing my hay is an old guy with a lot of experience. He said I shouldn’t use a NT drill to put in the Orchard grass because it will tear up too many crowns in established alfalfa stand. He recommended using a regular drill with the thinking it wouldn’t have the weight and pressure to tear up the year old established ‘crowns’.

I don’t have access to a regular drill. I can get NT drill through our county share program.

Drilling orchard grass into 1yo alfalfa

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire