Quick 'How To' for wrapping round bales for silage?

lundi 10 septembre 2018

With the wet weather we've been having and time slipping away to get 2nd cutting done, I'm actually wondering about mowing and baling my 2nd cutting for silage bales instead of dry hay.  My neighbor has a baler and wrapper that he uses for his stuff, but I could probably also use my own round baler as it is a silage baler and would give me netwrap instead of twine.  My problem is, I know virtually nothing about how to properly bales/wrap hay for silage.  Some of the questions that I already have are:

 

1) What moisture should I bale the hay at?

 

2) My fixed chamber baler (Claas 62S) makes 4x5 bales.  Will these be too big?  Will the fixed chamber make a good bale in wetter hay?

 

3) I understand that things vary by location, but what is the market like for these bales?  I'm assuming I'll be talking to dairy/beef producers, correct?

 

4) What is the best way to price these (by ton or bale)?  Also, what are prices like?

 

5) The only way I have to handle round bales are bale spears on the loader and 3pt hitch.  Can I just patch the holes these put in the wrap with tape?

 

As with everything new, I'm sure there are questions that I don't even know to ask, so feel free to educate me.  I'm not totally sure I will do this, but I hate to see forage on the field not being harvested... especially fields that I spread fertilizer on earlier this summer!

 

Thanks in advance, Josh



Quick 'How To' for wrapping round bales for silage?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire