Smoothing rough established grass hay field

lundi 1 août 2016

I made a mistake this last spring.  I got tired of going over a field with my disc and cultipacker and didn't get it smooth enough.  5 times over a field gets to me.  The problem was mostly the sod from the previous years.   It is sort of a different soil.  When dry there is just no give in the soil.    I did the same process on a field 2 miles away and it is just fine.   I planted in orchard and brome and have a good stand, but it is very rough still.   Any good recommendations on what to do?   I don't think rolling it with some sort of heavy drum would work like I've seen suggested else where.   Because driving over it with my swather and big baler hasn't changed it much so how could a drum?   My first option right now is next spring while still in dormancy and moist is to run my cultipacker over it again with the pivot tracks in the same direction I cut and bale.  But I am thinking also of buying a triple K that I see listed at the local JD dealer.   It's cheap and probably needs new tools.   Any other thoughts?  Tearing it up and starting over isn't really an option.   The cultipacker will tear some out, but not enough to make much of a difference.  Given the price of grass hay seed and time to establish on 75 acres.   My Teff field is the same roughness, but I can disc that up and start over next spring and this fall.   



Smoothing rough established grass hay field

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire