Alfalfa or Alfalfa Orchard mix?

jeudi 1 mars 2018

I have an 8 acre piece I plan to seed into hay next month.  When I took over the hay ground on the farm 3 years ago it was all in straight alfalfa, straight timothy, and straight brome.  All the hay I produce is to be sold.  There are two other stands of alfalfa I plan to take out after first cut is taken off so my alfalfa acres are going to shrink for dry hay this season.  I'm kicking around trying an alfalfa/orchard mix - on the premise that one or two hay brokers told me it sells well.  I've never had any to sell, so not certain about that.  Looking for your thoughts on this, and I have the following questions & considerations:

 

How much difference in yield (tons) could I expect for the season if I switch to a mix vs. straight alfalfa?

 

Is a mix any easier to dry, or more forgiving in terms of preventing leaf loss?

 

What ratio do those of you who plant this type of mix typically use?

 

Thanks!



Alfalfa or Alfalfa Orchard mix?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire