Raking/Combining Windrows

samedi 5 octobre 2019

Hello everyone.  I have a question in regards to raking hay ahead of the baler.  For straight alfalfa I usually run this schedule if the weather cooperates:

 

Day 1 – Cut

Day 2 – Leave alone

Day 3 – Ted/Flip (Pequea 710)

Day 4 – Rake during the morning and bale that evening

 

 

I rake as the dew is coming off in late morning and bale as late that evening as I can to try to save as many leaves as possible but still get done.  I have pushed my baling to the morning of Day 5 in heavy first cutting, but getting that long of a weather window doesn’t always work out. 

 

When I rake, I rake everything in single windrows (i.e. rake in circles, turning each individual swath over) to make sure everything keeps drying.  However aside from first cutting, I generally need to rake 3 or 4 windrows together ahead of the baler that evening to make a large enough windrow for the baler (JD 336).

 

I don’t like the idea of raking the hay for a second time, it really seems counterproductive to trying to save leaves. I have tried putting 3 to 4 windrows together right away in the morning once, but was left with a lot of uneven moisture.  I currently have a JD 570 side delivery rake.  I’m afraid that if I move my single windrow raking up a day, I will make too many ropes.   I have a lot of interest in a small rotary rake, and I think that would allow me to rake earlier without roping but was just wanted to get a few opinions about what needs to change and how/when others combine windrows before baling.

 

 

 



Raking/Combining Windrows

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire