To hay, or not to hay? What am I getting into here

samedi 25 juillet 2020

Hello all, I'm hoping for some advice from you experienced guys out here. Its one thing to have a game plan but the reality is I dont know a thing about running hay. Im In Texas, south of DFW and for the past 5 years have been running cattle. Im considering getting into haying to cut my own cost and maybe sell a few bales. I have access to other land where I can run as much or little as i want ( a 10 acre paddock close by and 200 acres about 10 miles away). I have a 75HP cab tractor, and my thought is to pick up some older equipment to start ( MF sickle bar, rake and vermeer baler) and bale native pasture for my first run. If this goes well, then start spraying and fertilizing in a year or so. Working full time I cant give all day, every day to running hay and I expect that will pose some issues. Are my expectations realistic for some degree of success given a limited budget and wanting to start with old equipment? I appreciate any feedback or advise.   



To hay, or not to hay? What am I getting into here

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire