Wheel Rake and Thin Second - Third Cutting

vendredi 9 octobre 2020

I've got a field with enough growth after second cutting that I'm tempted to take a third cut.

 

I know most here (from what I glean reading old posts) generally dislike wheel rakes, especially first cut.

 

What about where there is a thin 2nd or 3rd cut of hay to be had - if you could rake it up.  My understanding a wheel rake - rakes to the bottom of the stubble and would snag most of the thin cut.  They are also very wide, so maybe fewer passes across the field.

 

I like the idea of fewer passes across the field for low yielding, but high margin 2nd/3rd cuttings for horse quality square bales.  I have concerns the wheel rake might collect a lot of thatch and put it in the windrow too?

 

What are your thoughts regarding an 8 or 10 wheel V rake for thin 2nd/3rd cuttings - square bales.

 

I see them used here and there for IMHO decent low prices.  Wondering if I should add one to my collection...

 

Any sage advice is much appreciated.

 

Thanks!

Bill



Wheel Rake and Thin Second - Third Cutting

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire