Why Oh Why do I read Ag Articles?

vendredi 4 mars 2016

I like to think of myself as a progressive think outside the box kind of guy. You know, the guy that does unconventional stuff.
I'm going to lay this out as eloquently as possible so bear with me. I've always top dressed pastures and hay fields in spring. A good triple 17 or 20-10-5 or 10-20-20 depending on what I'm doing. I just read an article telling me to park the spreader and drill some clover after I pick up 4 tons of granular fertilizer. That I'm wasting my time assisting the spring lush in pastures and would be better off fertilizing in July. JULY?!? This is where I go, this must be Canadian guidelines, I'm lucky to see a drop of rain in July.

Yes I know clover is great for nitrogen. Ummm how is this cost effective, I've always cut excess forage for hay? Plus fertilizer is $490 a ton (Trip 17 and 10-20-20 is $5 ton less). Not sure how that compares to you guys but that's a $100 a ton less than last year. I understand the logic for grass tetany and related issues. That's why I supplement premium minerals (maybe I lose there?). My valuation of hay tonnage from half my pastures exceeds my fertilizer bill and can still graze. On top of what seems like 100" of rain this last winter, I'm struggling to see how I'm losing.

I'm also a Fall potassium and phosphorous guy, no nitrogen. I believe fall is for root building. Maybe I should sow clover in the fall if this article was partially right. I really hate the nagging Ag Article Conscience on my shoulder. Get this, according to the article, spring fertilizing is only good for corn and wheat.

Why Oh Why do I read Ag Articles?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire