Late summer planted oats

jeudi 1 septembre 2016

I have read a couple articles in the past about planting oats in the late summer for a fall hay or silage crop. Here oats are typically planted in the fall around the latter part of October and over winter like wheat for harvest next summer. The articles I read however were based out of some northern states( I think it was Wisconsin)where oats won't overwinter and they were using them as a late summer planted and fall harvested crop. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and how it worked our?

I decided to go ahead and try a few acres where I had some teff that didn't regrow after I cut last week. I drilled 3 bushels an acre today. I started to plant some more but I hated to do more than a few acres in case it doesn't work out I won't be wasting much seed. I didn't apply any N as im thinking there might be some left over from the teff since I only got one cutting.

Late summer planted oats

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire