Educate me on planters

dimanche 18 septembre 2016

Going to be planting corn this coming year for the first time so I'm going to be in the market for a nice used planter. Besides corn I can also see myself planting milo in the near future and may even end up planting as much or more milo than corn. Most likely will continue planting beans with a drill to stay with narrower rows.

I don't know much of anything about a planter so I need some help and guidance on what to look for. I am familiar with a drill but a planter seems to be much more complicated. I have been doing some research on planters and looking through sales literature and it appears to me there are a lot of different ways a planter can be equipped and I'm not sure what options will be best for my situation. I have also talked to the JD salesman about how I would need it equipped but I also wanted to get some opinions from someone that isn't trying to sell me something. He suggested a 1750 planter. Unless another brand has a considerably better planter I will most likely buy a JD because dealer support is far and above other brands for row crop equipment.

It has been suggested than I buy a vacuum planter rather than finger pickup. I was told finger pickup is still very good for corn but a vacuum planter is better in other crops than a finger pickup. Are unit mounted or frame mounted coulters better? Most of my soils are a gravely clay with a lot of rocks which gets very hard when dry and sticky when wet. Dry vs liquid fertilize? What all other options would I want?

Also how important is it to have a planter that matches the size of your corn head? Planning on upsizing my combine this year or maybe next depending on how harvest turns out this year so that will be a consideration.

Hayden

Educate me on planters

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire