Rebuild or replace JD square baler

mardi 8 novembre 2016

Been thinking about this a lot lately. Currently run a JD 347 baler that is getting a little tired and just not as reliable as it used to be. I have replaced parts as needed and tried to keep it up to date but is to the point it needs a major overhaul and tune up. Trying to decide if it makes more sense to rebuild it and run it a few more years or trade it off and get a brand new baler with the intent that it would last me many years no more square bales than we make in a year. We typically do 3-4k bales (mainly do round bales) so nothing like what some of you are putting through your square balers.

 

I have no idea how many bales have been through this baler. I have only put 30-40k through it but we bought it used 13 or so years ago, it saw a lot more use prior to us getting it. I know overhauling will be much cheaper than buying new, but not just looking at it from an economic or cost per bale standpoint. This is by far our oldest piece of hay equipment and while it may not get as many bales or hours of use as other pieces, it would still be next on the upgrade list based on age. There are tax advantages for me to trade and buy new. I also work full-time off the farm so having good equipment that is ready to go is also important. I know anything can break down, new or used, but as I said this baler is just getting a little too unreliable for my liking. Had to put too much pretty 2nd and 3rd cut hay into round bales this year due to square baler breakdowns. I know an overhaul should help that, but I would still be looking at a 30+ year old baler. If we bought new I would be looking at this baler to last me a very long time, may even be the last baler I would need to buy. Wouldn't be buying it with the intent to trade it off in a few years.

 

My one big fear of buying new though is quality. From first hand experience with some upgrades in the last year or so I feel like the quality on a lot of equipment has gone downhill, even if the model or design has not changed. Sheet metal, components, parts, etc. just seem and feel cheaper to me. And quality control also seems to be lacking. For those of you with new square baler experience, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think the quality in a 30 year old baler will be extremely different than a new one? Or have the square balers not been cheapened up as much as other equipment? Unfortunately most dealers around here never have any new square balers sitting on the lot for comparison.

 

I would more than likely stick with a JD baler, probably a 348 or a 338 (I realize the 338 is a lower capacity machine, but would probably be fine for no more hay than we bale). We have always run JD balers and gotten along well. I did price a NH 5070 while I was at the dealership the other day for something else, just out or curiosity. I would consider the possibility of going to NH depending on price difference (haven't priced JD yet) and/or if the NH was higher quality?? Be interested in opinions on that. I have been around no modern NH balers, but have spent some time with older 273, 276, etc. years ago. From reading posts on here a 5070 is a fine baler. As far as dealer support goes between JD and NH locally they are equal...both are terrible :).

 

Any thoughts appreciated.

 

 



Rebuild or replace JD square baler

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire