Cow finishing question

vendredi 17 février 2017

I usually use visual markers and time to tell me when my cows are ready for butcher. Time being just as important because butcher too early is just a waste of an animal that could fill out more in time.

 

This article pretty much describes my process exactly, all the way up to the measurement part. I had never done that before. I have the time and energy to coddle them to fatten them up, but rely primarily on grass, and about a quart of sweet feed per day over the winter. Plus, I usually stick with young heifers. No bulls or steers.

 

So my question is, since the article pretty much describes my methods, how much validity do you give to the tape measure method of determining if they are finished? We had planned on butchering a polled Hereford heifer in late spring so I did the tape measure trick (as best I could) and she seems to be 54-56 inches to the top of the hip bone. So according to the article, she's ready.

 

Does this article seem legit to you? If so, I will save back the chart in my notes for further reference.

 

http://ift.tt/2lSXi2U

 

 



Cow finishing question

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire