Maturity differences Alfalfa and OG in same stand

mardi 21 mai 2019

I had a devil of a time with my mix alfalfa and OG stand last year. But this year, things are looking up. I think that perhaps the incredibly wet year we had immediately after I planted just didn't allow it to do well. Regardless, this spring, things are looking up.

 

This is the first time where I had a mix stand where both were doing well. Last year, the alfalfa was poor, but still better than the OG. So timing cutting based on alfalfa maturity bloom was not an issue. However, this year, both are doing well, but I see the OG has matured and headed out, but there isn't a bloom on the alfalfa at all. Alfalfa is about high thigh and OG is well over waist high to my 6'2".

 

Given, I've never had a 'good' mix stand of alfalfa/OG mix, I've never had to decide when the 'optimal' time to cut a mixed stand should be. 

 

How do you go about deciding when to cut a mixed stand when maturity levels are decidedly different such as in my case?



Maturity differences Alfalfa and OG in same stand

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire