Accumulator Build-Planning Stage

mardi 29 septembre 2015

I have been contemplating an accumulator. The problem is, I don’t completely like any of which are currently manufactured for retail sale… so, I guess I will build one.
I like the simplistic mechanical Kuhn design, but I do not like its height. As best I measure from photos, the “bed” is @30 deg angle. Has anyone used a clinometer to ascertain the pitch of the bed?

I assume Kuhn used this angle so that gravity would NEARLY-ALWAYS overcome friction. Does anyone know if it works well while going downhill? How steep of a hill?("Hills" are relative. I have hills her that some of you would call bumps. I have flat fields with bumps that some would call hills.) In theory, if it worked well while going down a 10 degree grade, then 20 degree bed would be sufficient for level ground?Can anyone offer insight on how steep of a downhill grade the Kuhn will operate reliably?

The Kuhns appears to have a the mechanical equivalent of a slatted bed to theoretically lessen friction of sliding bales. I am contemplating using rollers within the slatted design to further reduce friction, therefore further lowering the angle needed. I could readily manufacture rollers to fill the bill.

I have also thought of using the ground drive axle to drive sets of 4” or 8” belts (instead of the rollers) which would “pull” the bales down the bed. The belts would always be rubbing on the bottom of the bales: to me that option seems better than dragging on ground (A trade off between the height of a Kuhns and a drag behind model). I will be running a ground driven axle to enable the incorporation of another design idea, so the addition of drivetrain for belts would not be too much of an addition.

The needed grapple is a simple build; an accumulator/grapple would be easy as well; but I am VERY reluctant to drag/push bales across the ground for 2 main reasons: 1) I prefer to use sisal twine; I'm concerned the sisal can't stand the strain- and 2) I have been reading this site in attempts to make better hay-I don’t intend to make as-good-as-I-can-make hay then drag it off thru the dirt/dust like a caveman with a newly acquired love interest.

 

Guffaws, Harrumphs (Blazing Saddles), and/or directly pointing out my moronic misconception(s) is/are welcomed.
73, Mark



Accumulator Build-Planning Stage

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire