Best practices of prepping a Coastal Bermuda field going into Spring

lundi 21 septembre 2015

I know the first day of fall is Wednesday, however I am looking for advice on "Best practices of prepping a Coastal Bermuda patch going into Spring...  I am going to do some controlled burning in the spring.  I am looking for information of timing and order of the below and any other suggestions as well.  

 

  1. Prescribed Burning
  2. Aeration and chain harrowing
  3. Fertilization timing
  4. Soil testing  

 

 

From an article they suggest the following:

 

 

Prescribed burning during the dormant period prior to spring growth will remove excess dead forage; warm the soil; destroy some insects, winter weeds, and weedy grasses; and promote faster greenup. Disadvantages include fire hazards, the need for a burning permit, baring the soil for possible erosion, and removing protection from late freezes. Timing is critical and must be done after weeds have emerged but before bermudagrass greenup. Waiting too long delays bermudagrass regrowth and allows for emerging weeds to outgrow the grass. A suggested time for burning is about 1 week prior to the last average frost date. 

 

 

Therefore from the Farmers Almanac the average last frost date for Sealy Texas is February 18th.

 

My questions:

 

  1. I am questioning 1 week before average frost would be February 11th?   Seems early to me
  2. When is the best time for Aeration and chain harrowing?    Before the burn or after?   Would aerating before a burn expose the roots to heat and damage?
  3. Soil testing?   In the fall?    At what point after the burn, for I am assuming the soil will change after the burn?

 

FYI, I have never done a prescribed burn before, however I am very fortunate to have a good friend who is a retired Fire Marshall who is going to show me the correct way it's done.

 

Thanks and be safe!

 

Mark

 

   

 

 

 

 

 



Best practices of prepping a Coastal Bermuda field going into Spring

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire