Starting Hay Farm?

mardi 29 septembre 2015

So I'm thinking of starting a farm. I'll start out growing alfalfa and then eventually move into grain as well as growing alfalfa. The alfalfa is just to get the farm established and get a nice amount of money coming in. I will be selling the alfalfa to a Hay Export company, I already talked to them about prices and they said they pay $180-$200 per ton so all of my calculations are based on $180. The farm I'm looking to buy is a 7000 acre farm in Saskatchewan costing 5 million dollars. It is currently a beef farm but I will turn it into a hay farm. I will only be using about 4000 acres for the first number of years and that leads into my first question is it worth renting out the other 3000 acres? I will be building a 300x600 metal building that I will store the hay in to keep it out of the elements. I will take 300x100 of that and it will be a workshop/equipment storage. I estimate that will cost about 2 million dollars. The equipment that I will get will be all new Deere with star fire receivers and auto trac the whole works. I will have 3 7270R with front hitch and PTO along with 3 triple cutter mower conditioners that will cut 45 acres a hour. I will also have 3 6140R that will have loaders. I will have 3 L340 Big Balers (so 3x4x8 bales). I will have 3 30 foot wheel rakes as well as 3 30 foot teaders. I will get 6 32 foot bake wagons for hauling from the field to the barn. I will also have some other equipment such as skid steers and wheel loader fork lift and just some other stuff. I will also have 3 Circle C bale stackers so I estimate about 4.3 million dollars for the equipment. I believe it should cost about $275 a acre to grow alfalfa so it should cost me 1.1 million dollars. But I'm planning on getting 5 tons per acre out of the ground each year (not sure how accurate that is, thoughts?) but anyway 5 tons at $180 per ton is $900 but times that by 4000 and you have 3.6 million dollars. So I have 3.6 million of income minus 1.1 million for planting and everything so I'm at 2.5 million it will be about 800,000 for the land payment each year so I'm at 1.7 million and then it should be another 900,000 for equipment payments leaving me with $900,000 plus I have to pay the employees I think 5 employees plus my self will be sufficient I'll pay $20/hr @ 40 hrs a week average. So that about $210,000 in paying the employees. Leaving me with $690,000 which it will then be $300,000 year for payment on the building leaving me with $390,000 for other expenditure and profit. What do you guys think will I be able to make enough money and be successful? After I pay of the equipment which will be in a 60 month term I'll have another $900,000 which will be great. Which in hopefully 12 years I can turn those last 3000 acres into grain. What do you guys think about my plan? Anything I'm forgetting? Or would you change it? And if I end up producing more then 5 tons a acre I'll be making even more money. How many cutting will I be able to get each year?

Starting Hay Farm?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire