Wheel rake question

vendredi 18 septembre 2015

I am thinking about getting a new wheel rake. I currently have a New Holland 57 pto driven rolabar rake and I love it. I started doing over half of my rolls in haylage last year and the rake never has a problem making a windrow no matter how thick. The only issue is I am only getting 8.5 feet raked at a time. I was thinking that a wheel rake would help make raking time go by much faster. I do have some concerns, though. I am have a lot of small fields with irregular areas, and I am concerned that I will have a hard time raking them with a wheel rake. Also, I use a smaller horse power tractor to rake with (Ford 3000) so I would probably want to stick with an eight wheel rake, as I also have hay fields on some very steep slopes. I also worry that this smaller wheel rake will not be able to handle thick haylage. I have heard that the wheels can sometimes ride over the thick grass. I also hate giving up the portability, since I can load both tractor and rake onto the trailer but with a wheel rake I will have to make two separate trips (I have a lot of fields scattered around with some, being an hour away).

With these issues in mind I have thought about three different wheel rakes. The first is the Vermeer VR820. I have a dealer within 15 minutes of me which which I deal with a lot and is always very helpful. I like Vermeer ( have a baler and disc mower from them) and the rake seems very well made. I am questionable about the wheels being connected in tandem. To me it seems that when ever I go by a low spot in the hay field one wheel will go in it which would bring the other wheel up. I do like the ease of adjustments on it, though.

The second is the New Holland 819. The closest dealer is about an hour and fifteen minutes away. I really like how each wheel is independent. I think it would do a better job of raking. It also seems well built. Adjusting it does not seem as easy as the Vermeer and seems like it could get out of adjustment easier with a lot of road travel ( which I do).

The third is a Kuhn SR 108 GII. The same New Holland dealer is also a Kuhn dealer. They have the wheels connected in tandem like the Vermeer, but seem very easy to adjust and well built. This same dealer also sells Bush Hog and the salesman said they are much heavier than the New Holland or Kuhn, but they do not have a BSR8 on the lot. They did have a BSR 10 and it did look much heavier than the others.

So, any suggestions? I plan on keeping the rolabar rake for the smaller fields and as a back up. Also, is the center kicker wheel worth the extra price? And these rakes are all within $300 dollars of each other. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Wheel rake question

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire