Dust in the Hay - Question

samedi 27 février 2016

I was reading a bit today regarding horse hay and the author of the article mentioned several times mold/dust from hay setting in the windrow.

I realize that if you're hay sets to long on the ground, is not conditioned and/or tedded - moved around in some way after cutting, mold can begin to form.

But how quickly can dust from hay setting in the windrow form? What is the rule of thumb/time frame that tells you are asking for trouble?

A couple of years ago, I had an equipment failure and couldn't bale a bit of hay. It got rained on repeatedly and probably took 10 days to get up. I kept turning it to keep it aerated and drying out from the rain until I could bale. Finally when I got it up, it was dry, but as bleached as straw. It also had a GREAT fresh baled hay smell. I was very surprised at this. It absolutely didn't show any signs of dust. Still I sold it as "goat" hay. The buyers were delighted with the quality of the hay, inspite of everything. Made me think I should have asked more $ for it - LOL!

However, last year I baled a small piece of hay field, after work during the week. Time was limited to about an hour or so and baled on two consecutive days. The 50 or so bales I made on the first day had dust - weeks later. I microwaved a hay sample and was at 17-18 ish moisture and outwardly the hay looked and felt OK. Second day, baled the same amount and it was perfect. Didn't take a humidity reading in it since it had a day longer to dry. Neither day's hay get any dew as I quit before it could form.

I attribute the first day's hay being somewhat dusty to residual stem moisture. None of the hay was conditioned, but all was tedded.

So to my original question, has anyone experienced dust from hay just setting in the windrow?

I'm thinking hay that is simply baled with to high moisture, or parts of the hay content with to high moisture, like stems or legumes cause dust after baled up and setting in the barn for several weeks vs anything going on in the windrow.

I'm talking square bales. What's you're experience?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Bill

Dust in the Hay - Question

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire