Early application of liquid fertilizer and weed killer - Question?

mardi 23 février 2016

I have a question for you veteran hay guys/gals or anyone with experience in the early application of liquid fertilizer.   I live in central Texas have about 70 acres of coastal Bermuda that was sprigged two years ago. 2016 will be it's third growing season.  I have about 75% coverage at this point and have common winter weeds (mainly thistle, broad leaf/mustard, and henbit) along with rye grass coming up in the bare spots and a few mixed in the thinner areas.  I have a guy that does chemical spraying that is suggesting to spray Atrazine and Ally to clean the weeds / rye grass and also wanting to apply tank mixed liquid fertilizer at 300 lbs. per acre. My standing coastal is about 10-12" right now but of course brown/dormant.  I did not shred it at the end of summer / early fall  due the lack of rain and also hoping to minimize the winter weed growth.  My question is this, will applying the fertilizer at that rate this early while the ground is still below 70 degrees and we will likely have another freeze or two before spring be beneficial to do. I know we will obviously need rain on it to get it in the ground but will the cold ground and dormant grass respond to the benefit of fertilizer this early in the year to have a productive spring? I ask this due to the fertilizer being the biggest cost of the spraying but I do like the idea of getting it all done in one shot.

 

Thanks in advance and I will look forward to your answers.

 

 



Early application of liquid fertilizer and weed killer - Question?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire