Rototiller vs Plow and Disc and Harrow, etc.

vendredi 28 octobre 2016

Does anyone out there besides me use a rototiller for plowing hay fields? I used to moldboard plow and disc and harrow, and always thought of 3 point tillers as not tuff enough to handle more than a couple of acres at a time. Then a few years ago I ran into an old timer that turned me on to a rototiller brand called Northwest Tillers, and my perspective was changed. It took my a while to find a good used one that was the right size and model, but I finally did and I haven't hardly touched my conventional equipment since. It's possible that it's a little bit slower, and I realize that one method is never right for everyone, but in my opinion the advantages out weigh the disadvantages: It replaces at least three implements with one, it's easier on both the operator and the tractor, it finely tills, chops and buries the old sod leaving a ready to plant seed bed after a couple of passes, and it has no problem with sod bound ground that most plows have a difficult time with.

 

The one that I have is 8ft wide and has a basket roller on the back. I run it with my 100hp Kubota, and I wouldn't want any less power. I just tilled an 18 acre grass field with it this fall that I figure hasn't been plowed in 24 years, and was heavily sod bound. I tilled first pass at about 1.5MPH, and the second pass at about 2.75MPH. I'll leave it set for the winter (we don't fall plant here) and then till it one last time before planting it into a Timothy Orchard grass mix.

 

Does anyone out there do anything similar to this. Just curious.



Rototiller vs Plow and Disc and Harrow, etc.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire