How long to keep a round baler and other ?'s

vendredi 18 mai 2018

So I've had my BR7060 since 8/2012. Has ~9000 bales on it, mostly baled on ROUGH ground.

Feel like it's decision time.

2016 replaced computer box and a few bearings @ about $3,000

2017 replaced actuator arm, about $1,000. Also had to have more bearings to replace because I got a rock caught in rollers.

Not the balers fault. Also replaced both tires. Again not balers fault. Have had "glitchy" duckbill intermittant net wrap issues here and there, too. 

 

My operation was 1,200+ bales per year. This year it should jump to 1,700+/-. The baler looks good, but has had some "surgery". I hate break downs and I really don't have a baler to borrow when the shit hits the fan. 

 

Is it time for a new baler? I damn near bought one end of last year. I'm kind of happy I took pause to reflect on the decision. If I understand other local farmers correctly, they say trading equipment when it still looks/works good is cheaper in the long run, because there's only a 10-15% markup on new equipment sales, but there's a 40% markup on parts.

Meaning the equipment dealers love it when you keep older equipment because more money is made on parts. I'm sure service pays big dividends to dealer as well.

I can probably get a new 450 Roll Belt SS with some extras for about $16K trading in my BR7060. If I don't kick in any cash, thats about $300/mo.

Really wondering if $300/mo buys me enough "security" to be worth that? $3,600/year buys a lot of parts and repairs, but breakdowns from lack of reliability of an older baler are "priceless" with a good baling day lost. I really want a Krone or McHale, but WOW talk about $$$ 

 

Decisions, decisions!



How long to keep a round baler and other ?'s

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire