For want of a screw...

vendredi 7 octobre 2016

Today I went with my wife to refill a feeder. I parked the 1100 by the feeder, letting the engine run in neutral with the parking brake set. When we were done I tried to release the parking brake, but when I pushed the side button the handle (the plastic part with the button and the finger grooves) came up the shaft and remained in my hand. Fortunately my wife saw on the floorboard a tiny black screw. There is a tiny hole on the bottom of the handle. The screw enters that hole and locks the handle in place by being lodged in a groove in the shaft, thus preventing the handle from riding up the shaft when its button is depressed. Good thing the Missus had her Leatherman Wave with her, so I was able to fix the problem. Securing a handle with a tiny screw seems to me a very flimsy and cheesy design. If the handle cracks, or the tread in the plastic becomes enlarged and/or worn with prolonged use and age, the screw will fall out. If it is not found, or if it cannot be seated firmly again against the shaft, there will be no way of releasing the parking brake. I did not expect such a cheap contraption in a very expensive machine.


For want of a screw...

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire