New member. First Frost: should I graze, bale, or leave 18" coastal alone?

mardi 31 octobre 2017

I am new to haytalk and hoping some of you guys with more experience can share some of your wisdom and point me in the right direction on the management of some established Coastal Bermuda hayfields that I just purchased. I have read a number of older posts and already learned a lot from the discusssion. I have also noted a number of publications that I need to read to improve my base knowledge. I have 70 acres of coastal split into fields of 12, 15, 26, and 17 acres. Each field is in a different condition and I think will require different answers. The previous owner was older and tired and didn't work the fields as he has in the past before selling to me in late September.

Field 1 (12 acres): this was the only field that was fertilized (once in May), cut, and baled this year. After May, we had very good rains this year. The grass is about 18" tall. We have had warm weather until the past 2 weeks, and just had our first frost. I'm not hurting for grass or hay and there is a lot of hay for sale in these parts. My question: should I leave it alone now, then cut and bale next spring? Should I burn just before the last frost? Should I graze it some over the winter? Also, do you recommend I test the soul and amend now or wait until later? Confused on the best plan.

Thanks in advance for your patience and advice...

New member. First Frost: should I graze, bale, or leave 18" coastal alone?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire