New seeding washed away

mercredi 11 octobre 2017

Posted in the shout box the other day about the torrential downpours we had that washed away most all of my new seeding of hay I had just planted last week. We got 3.5 inches....,most of which fell in an hour. There was also a tornado about 3 miles away from home that went directly over one of my fields.....lots of trees down and limbs twisted up but minimal damage to surrounding homes. It had just crossed the mountain coming down into the valley here so that weakened it considerably.

All of the fields I had planted were no tilled thank goodness or there would have been massive soil loss from erosion. I still had a considerable amount of surface erosion and the rows where the drill had planted all washed out which carried the majority of the seed away along with the fertilizer and gypsum that had just been spread.....not to mention top soil as well. In places the ground looks like a stream bed.

The only field that did not wash very much was one that had very heavy residue from oat straw that I had bush hogged earlier in the season. I was worried about planting through that much trash and getting a stand but it looks like that was my saving grace. Much to my surprise after only being planted for 5 days there is orchard grass starting to peek through. All of the other fields will have to be replanted and fertilized again.....really going to hurt my pocketbook.

Hayden

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

New seeding washed away

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire