Hay protein values

mardi 26 juin 2018

So ealier this year we baled some ryegrass first cutting was baled way too wet got to 190 degrees then cooled off and the bales are half the orignal size. After that deal and buying what I assumed was low nutritional value after feeding it. I bought some hay equipment. I made a second cutting on the reygrass it was still a little wet but didnt get hot or anything.
Then baled some mixed grass hay from a pecan orchard.

I took samples and my dad insisted he wanted to send them out. Well 2 months later my dad says, "oh those samples came back". I asked to see them he said he cant find them.. but he said the results were

18% protein for first cutting ryegrass
14.5% second cutting ryegrass
13.5 mixed grass hay from orchard
And 4.5% on some johnson grass hay i bought from our old hay guy who swore it was cut at the right time and never rained on.

We feed a bale of that first cutting ryegrass that got way hot and is like black tobacco inside to an old cow and she ate on it and didnt die then some hungry 700lbs heifers got in to it and couldnt beat them off with a stick. Guess its safe to feed? This was about 3 weeks ago no issues..

2nd cutting ryegrass the cows are loving it, it also was a little tobacco smell.

So what your thoughts on 4.5% johnson grass hay is that real low? Think it was rained on? I knew it was poor hay after feeding the first bale when the cows didnt want it.. almost had to force them it.
That 4.5 percent just confirms my decision to bale my own.

What is good coastal hay spose to be?
What is good ryegrass hay spose to be?
And johnson grass too..

Hay protein values

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire