1st time cutting a field question

mardi 26 juin 2018

I'm as green as they come, when it comes to cutting a hay field.

 

A little back ground story. My neighbor who is 85 years old, isn't able to cut his hay field due to medical issues right now. His wife asked if I could cut, rake and bale it. I said sure but I've never done it before.After watching tons of Youtube videos, I cut my first hay field. It was really fun and I had a blast. I didn't attempt the baling part until I received some better guidance. Anyway, my question is about the initial cutting.

 

His cutter is a John Deere 285. I wished I'd taken photos but I didn't, so I will attempt to describe what is my concern.

 

Each end of the disc cutter cut the grass close to the ground, and throw the cuttings into a little windrow. But the center of the cutter bar didn't cut very good at all. There is grass still 10" tall. The field looks nasty and I'm so embarrassed having attempted cutting the field. It sure doesn't look like a golf course.

 

Like a goofball, I never checked the center until I was finished cutting the field.

 

Before I started cutting the field, I'd checked the oil and made sure all the knifes were sharp and they were. Before I started the knifes were straight out on each rotor. Now all the knifes are folded back (like the bolt is loose but it isn't) and not straight out like they were when I started. The end knifes that cut real good are also folded back. It almost looks like the rotor cut the grass and not the knifes, or just a small portion of the knife did. My question is. Shouldn't the knifes be straight out and not folded back? Or does the rotation and force of the rotor when cutting, keep them straight out? Wonder if I should change all the blade pivot bolts for each knife, and get them real tight?

 

I really hope someone understands what I'm trying to describe.

 

Thanks



1st time cutting a field question

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire